Saturday, September 13, 2014

Running for a cause

A couple of years ago, I wouldn’t have ever imagined using the word “marathoner” to describe myself; I could barely run around the block, much less 26.2 miles. But, as all good stories begin, one autumn Sunday, as I was having my usual breakfast one little question crept up in my head: “why don’t you go out for a run?” Those first few laps around the block seemed like a titanic task, but as I started gaining momentum I felt empowered by one single thought. “I can do this!” As the first miles started to pile up and I began to run more seriously, the transition between running for fun and running to a reach a goal was quite natural.

When I thought about the biggest goal I could reach, I thought about one of the most famous marathons in the world, The New York City marathon and its 26.2 miles. That seemed like an ambitious yet attainable goal, and while I was at it, why not do something that I enjoy while helping others? That was the exact moment when I decided not only to run the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon, but to do it with Team for Kids.

Yes, I'll be one of those little dots.

 Team for Kids is a team of volunteers who raise funds for critical services provided by New York Road Runners Youth Programs. These programs combat childhood obesity and empower youth development via running and character-building programs in low-income schools and community centers in New York City, throughout the country and in Africa. While I’m helping Team for Kids as a runner, you can make a difference by clicking here and making a donation! The collected money will help New York Road Runners Youth Programs continue their lovely labor throughout the country and, if you bring the receipt to the spa you'll get a travel sized Kerastase product as a gift!

Hopefully I’ll see you at the finish line.

Lots of love

No comments:

Post a Comment